Thursday, April 25, 2013

Ranch Ramblings: Day Twelve


I spent the entire day yesterday not knowing if it was Wednesday or Thursday.  And I didn't care. "I'll figure it out tomorrow.", I thought.  It was Wednesday but now it is Thursday.  I'm still a little confused about the whole situation.    

One of my absolute favorite things has been watching and documenting how nature has changed in the short time that I've been here.  I took a photo of the same thistle outside of my door everyday.

Day 2

Day 7

 
Day 11

And my favorite bouquet of thistles on the planet…

Day 2

Day 4

 
Day 7

Day 9

Day 12

I've also really enjoyed finding unexpected intersections 
between man and nature.  I give you Exhibit A.

Electric tree.

I've totally been geeking out on nat history books and I have to say that one of the best lines I've read is the description of a nine-banded armadillo from J.J. Audubon and Rev. J. Bachman who thought the armadillo resembled "a small pig saddled with the shell of a turtle."  

If you think that is funny, you might enjoy these as well: 
Still Life:  Adventures in Taxidermy by Melissa Milgrom
The Breathless Zoo by Rachel Poliquin
Natural Histories:  Rare Book Selections from the American Museum of Natural History Library
The Birds of America by Audubon
The Authentic Animal : Inside the Odd and Obsessive World of Taxidermy by Dave Madden

No comments:

Post a Comment