Monday, July 22, 2013

The Universe for Dad

Here is a short renegade project about an enormous topic...


Dad's death has given me a sense of freedom and I feel guilty for saying that - as if I mean I'm glad that he's dead, which I am not.  I wish very much that he wasn't dead.  I wish I could watch him laugh, I wish I could hear him tell one of his wild stories, I wish I could pull up to his house and see him waiting outside for me.  Unfortunately, I'll have to dig into my memory bank when I wish for those things because I'll never live the experiences as new again.

But I love him more and differently because living through the experience of him leaving is a gift that has let me see the world in a different way.  I want to make work in a different way.  This desire is so strong that it makes me feel almost sick, almost poisoned, like it's too big for my body to contain and I have to tell myself that I don't have to act on it all at once, that realizing it and living it and dreaming of it is just as important and lovely as creating it.

1 comment:

  1. Pal, you don't have to act on it all at once. Realizing it and living it and dreaming of it is just as important and lovely as creating it.

    ReplyDelete