Friday, July 12, 2013

Mental. Pressure. Cooker.

The studio is now a total and complete sweat shop of never-before-tried experiments mixed along with the standard paintings and photographs.  Throw in the anticipation of learning the verdict of six artist residency applications and the embarkment of a new full-time job that will require more hours and responsibility (along with my part-time job) and the lack of desire to execute any of the above and you have one overwhelmed lady. Here is a studio tour of the started but unfinished work....

The dang Universe.
So in reaction to my dad's passing, I've understandably been obsessed with life and death and the universe - you know, existence as a whole.  No big deal.  Except that it is a big deal and it's totally exhausting.  How do I visually articulate the most monumental subject ever?  Well with a small-scale sculpture made from maps, beads, wire, wood, and a coffee jar that's how.  Next step to this project is making the map mountain taller.

Hollywood Texas-style.
A few years ago my friend Lani (hi pal!) and I made some pretty badass stop motion films. I want to make more.  Like immediately. So I bought a set and cast which was the easy part, now all I have to do is make the film.  And.....ACTION!

Testing, testing, 1-2-3...
"Hey!", I said to myself, "Why don't you get a digital voice recorder and record the writing you've done over the past few years?"  "Then manipulate it, organize it, or use it as an element in a piece of art?"

(left) Bingham Canyon Mine (right) Passenger Pigeon 
But...don't forget that you've got these two paintings to finish and they will stare at you all day everyday until they are completed.

And your heart still wants to photograph spaces where the outdoors meets the indoors! Oh yeah...and document everything and write about it on your blog.  

 Bottom floor of my apartment building.

going-away-party-flower

My current patio science project.

No comments:

Post a Comment