Monday, March 16, 2009

Magical Meat Carpet

I have done a couple of sketches of this baby Barn Owl and thought it was about time to paint the little guy. As I have mentioned before, I truly enjoy painting raw cuts of meat and it only seemed fitting that the owl should be standing upon a spectacular specimen of meatiness.

Originally, I was going to place both meat and owl on a dinner table with a, you guessed it, wallpaper background but after drawing them on the canvas, the meat turned into a magical carpet that needed to be soaring over a vast stretch of farmland.

Even though the setting is outdoors, I feel that the fresh butcher-cut slab of meat and the highly manicured plots of farmed land convey the same sense of human environmental-manipulation as an intricate wallpaper design.

1 comment:

  1. I love Magical Meat Carpet. I saw it at A Taste of Tops in Tempe and was really sad when they switched out their artwork. It's now the background on my phone. Thank you, Miss Luna!

    ReplyDelete