Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Science of Sparrows

Oh the irony. Travel to the other side of the globe to see indigenous NZ birds and all I've seen is a heap load of sparrows. That's what happens when you don't leave the city. So, make art about sparrows.

Above is my progress for The Science of Sparrows. On the wall are my working drawings based on zoomed-in images of sparrows (main focus is the coloring from the feathers). After enlarging the pics I pull out circular shapes. The five pieces on the table are the beginning stages of the oil paintings based on the drawings.

Above is a close up of Painting IV from the series. The next step is to work on the circular shapes. I'd love to cover these in resin or at least a gloss finish but I'm having issues with debris getting stuck to wet paint because of the construction taking place in the studio and the constant need to have the windows open (no screens). If I can find a quiet and still place to varnish then I'll move forward if not...flat finish it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment