Saturday, August 24, 2013

Gettin' my alla prima on.



 Deer, oil on wallpaper, 13.5"x12", 2013

I haven't been painting as much as I'd like because life keeps happening and I have this heart-stopping fear that I'll forget how or loose the desire to want to paint and it's a thought I can't bear so I just have to stop everything, put the painting apron on, and paint a dang deer!  Whew.

What's the perfect kind of painting when one wigs out in this manner?  Alla prima.  In a nut shell, alla prima is a technique in which a painting is completed in one bang-out session. You work fast and take no prisoners.  This little dude's eyes are a bit crossed and his ears are slightly off kilter but that's just the way he is.  No touch ups, I'll keep my mitts off of him and accept him as is.

Side note:  This deer is kind of a big deal.  Below is a still shot from a stop motion film you can spy in an earlier post.



No comments:

Post a Comment