Friday, June 19, 2009

Delicious!!

This sketch is absolutely delicious and serves as inspiration for a lifetime! It is a piece by Vincent van Gogh that he included in a letter to his brother. His use of value and mark-making are truly remarkable (no pun intended).

I've become really excited about sketching. In the past I would do very simplistic drawings just to get the layout for a painting. But after completing my 30 Sketches Project I and now being in the the home stretch of finishing 30 S.P. numero II, I truly appreciate and enjoy drawing.

I work best with a structured plan. Commiting to sketch something for 30 days in a row is a way of forcing myself to focus and improve. Most days it is my little shining light at the end of a long work day, but there are days that I would rather have a sharp stick in the eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment